Sunday 4 January 2009

Revelations found in...refrigerators, medicine cabinets & grocery baskets?

It's funny where small pockets of expression can be found.

Can you guess what this is?

Upon closer inspection, or a different viewpoint, my fridge is revealed. My father also decorates his fridge and the collage pieces together different parts of his life - postcards from friends, remnants of voyages (Peruvian rug cut-outs), black and white portraits of my grandparents...

I wonder what our fridges say about us? What they express about what we love to gaze at or lose ourselves in. I did the same thing at work on the door behind my desk (not ideal I know, but I didn't have a lot of options). I can swing around and just daydream, staring out into colored space.

Perhaps fridges are also like medicine cabinets, or baskets at grocery stores, or Amazon purchase histories, and my personal favorite, windows with drawn curtains (I love looking into people's homes to see what they're like; what paintings they have on their walls, what color couches, photographs?) Perhaps searching for that red thread, the common denominator that we share. Piecing together parts of people and humanity one fridge at a time;)

No comments:

Post a Comment