Sunday 31 May 2009

What lurks on the inside

A confession: I often look into people's medicine cabinets when using the bathroom (less so now then when I was younger and more invasive or daring perhaps). I was curious about the things that can't be seen or the things that are not shown. What kind of cream do they use? Are they conscious about aging? What secret formulas or marketing ploys found there way into these usually white Ikea fortresses? What does what you hide reveal about who you are? Or are you more inclined to 'be yourself' when that self is hidden? Would your bookshelf look any different if it was behind closed panels? So this train of thought led me to look into the content of fridges, handbags and medicine cabinets (although I couldn't find photos or projects on the latter - I suppose that is a very private/personal space).

GOOD Magazine
presented Mark Menjivar’s inventive exploration of hunger, “You Are What You Eat,” for which he photographed the contents of strangers’ refrigerators. Funny how the contents of refrigerators can tell a story.






The inside of bags (photos from Flickr: What's in your bag? thread):



This post wouldn't be complete without some of my personal show and tell...




I don't have a medicine cabinet, so this will have to do...



I'd love to see your insides - it would be great to publish and share contents of closed personal physical spaces (not sure if I have enough readers however!).

1 comment:

  1. Ha, I really enjoyed some of those pictures at the end. Really great.

    ReplyDelete