Sunday 5 July 2009

Street Signs (last of Big Apple reflections)

New York City buildings can make arresting community art projects. Walking down a multitude of city streets is like perusing the scenery at a vibrant gallery. I often stumble upon collages of art on brick, concrete or steel walls. Artists leave their mark, and create just to create, while using the city's furnishing as their canvas. It's the ultimate release - giving up pieces of creations to the public, so they can deface, reconstruct and leave pieces of their own expressions, adding to its beauty. It reminds me of how Tibetan monks must feel while they make sand mandalas. They create simply to be in the process of creation, not wedded to the outcome, and releasing energy into the world (or my father building sand castles at Coney Island beach). I've been enraptured by these pieces, and attempted to capture their power and expression in a black and white photography series I did while at the School of Visual Arts (see snapshot below).



During my whirlwind trip to NYC, I came across this one on Orchard Street in LES. Perhaps I'll start hunting for some in London (and I don't mean Banksy).

2 comments:

  1. that first one reminds me of an old Hole flier from the early 90's. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I stumbled upon that one on the corner of the Bowery and Spring. Spontaneous art is what i really miss about NYC. Following your blog - enjoying the posts.

    ReplyDelete