Thursday 6 May 2010

Bringing back the old school...


I'm digging MixTape, a site that lets you make shareable musical blends. It reminds me of being a teenager taping the radio in my bedroom, flipping though Kiss, Hot 97 and WBLS, trying to find new songs and make music sets for my friends.

One of my new playlists: Floating Backwards:



Apparently I'm not the only one with old school yearnings:

"Over the last couple of years, sales of vinyl records increased; the numbers aren’t huge, but they sparked a lot of public musing about the format’s qualities. Cassette sales, meanwhile, steadily dwindled to a mere 34,000 last year through the retail venues tracked by SoundScan. Considering this not long ago, I concluded that the romance associated with vinyl doesn’t apply to its longtime analog rival. I was wrong about that. In looking (and asking) around online, I realize now that there is extensive evidence of ongoing appreciation for the cassette — or at least the idea of the cassette."

Quoted from the New York Times Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment