Tuesday 30 June 2009

Communication break-down?


As the largest group of Facebook users in Europe, I thought Brits had a twitch and tweak when it came to the social network (A Nielsen report stated that Brits are the biggest fans of Facebook with more than two thirds logging on as members and one in every six minutes spent on a social network site). However, given an in-depth focus group held in NYC (I observed my friends), I'd say that New Yorkers, with their iPhones, are truly constantly on the site. I've even seen one friend 'talk' to another friend in the same room via Facebook on the iPhone. It's the Dallas or Dynasty effect - who's saying/doing what and with whom? I've added to information overload by streaming my FriendFeed to my FB. Now we have the chance to personalize the FB url...not sure how many people should be able to open the window to my world? How will this type of social activity affect our interpersonal communications? What about the privacy issue - which has got to be the future thorn in the side of the 'social' web?

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment