Monday 24 August 2009

Beholders

I went to go see Beautiful Losers over the weekend. It's a great documentary about a quiet art movement composed of an electric mish-mash group of artists influenced by subversive punk, graffiti and skater culture ( a view from the outside), that built momentum eventually spiraling out into something big and contagious.

This is not a review of the film, you can get that here and here, but rather a reflection on how it made me feel. It felt existential. It reminded me of the strange futility of things, wanting to be someone, climbing, showing, and really, we're all just kind of grasping, stumbling in a prefab box built by Ikea.

These people just made stuff, spend time creating, and at the same time, whether intentionally or not, made statements. The way they lived communicated something powerful.

I don't know, I walked out of the ICA, feeling a lot lighter, less serious, more playful, somewhat liberated because I was reminded of the illusions we hang on to. Not too much really matters, except the things that do. See it, tell me what you think.



No comments:

Post a Comment